Firefighters were able to safe the outside of a home gutted by fire in Tomball last week. The home, located at the intersection of Carrell and Peach streets, was ravaged by a fire that started in the garage.
"We were able to stop it as it got into the kitchen," said Tomball Fire Marshal Doug Sanguedolce. "The living room was completely destroyed."
Fire officials said that up to four people were inside the home, as well as two dogs, but all were able to get out safely.
Sanguedolce believes that about 80 percent of the home was damaged and that many of the bedrooms received some heat and smoke damage. Firefighters from Tomball, Spring, Klein and Magnolia spent about four hours at the scene.
Sanguedolce said heavy wind gusts played havoc with firefighters, as they scrambled to put the fire out.
"The wind just blew the fire right into the living room from the garage," he said.
He said that initial investigations point to an electrical fire.
"We are probably looking at some type of electrical short at this point," he said.
Sanguedolce said that he believes at this point that the short might have been caused by the garage door opener, which he said was at least 10-15 years old.
The residents of the home had insurance and fire officials will assist them in getting help if they need it.
"We referred them to several local resources," Sanguedolce said.